Soldiers of God
You need to Register to see all the topics we have...
Soldiers of God
You need to Register to see all the topics we have...
Soldiers of God
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WE ARE A CHRISTIAN CLAN ON XBOX LIVE

HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Welcome to the official website for (SoG) Soldiers of God!

Christian Metal....

Go down 
+2
JDH. the local village TK
Vulture
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Vulture
God is Awesome!
God is Awesome!
Vulture

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Christian Metal.... Empty
PostSubject: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 10:14 am

I think I know the answer but.... Am I the only one that has a problem with christian metal? I just cannot understand how something that sounds so evil and twisted can be Christian. Where is the love? That love that comes from God should be flowing through our veins and then I hear this music and it literally makes me cringe. I just don't get how something that sounds like music that most anyone would consider non-holy could be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.digoutreach.com
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!

Number of posts : 861
Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 3:21 pm

well are you refering to lyrics or the way they sing it (their voice tone etc.).
If your refering to the lyics of a song, I would recomend looking them up first to clarify what they are saying, since I have no clue half the time.

If your refering to the way they sing (throat singing, that rasp kind, idk what to call it),
if your just refering to that as sounding evil think of it this way. What if there was something wrong with their vocal cords and thats just the way god made them?.

As for me, I don't really care either way I don't listen to it cause I can't understand it and christian death metal now there's an oxymoron.

But think of it from the non-saved' perspective I hear skillet, red, and thousand foot krutch on mainstream rock stations. thats reaching out to unsaved people who hear it, it's the same with christian metal it's a way of reaching out to people through different genres and just because it isn't your's or my specific genre that doesn't make it evil.

Think of it from Gods perspective. Back in the day with the hebrews, the way they sang was like spoken and well just weird and boring seeming to me, to god it was praise, think of hyms to me they are slow and boring to god they are praise, now think of all the music you think of when you think of christian music to god it is praise also. Now I think Gods a pretty open mided guy if he were to condem a type of music I'm pretty sure we'd all be hosed since I'm pretty sure none of us praise like the hebrews did so I don't think christian metal is evil, do I like it no, but in the end it's up to god to decide whats praise and whats not.
Back to top Go down
Xavier xTZx
Soldier
Soldier
Xavier xTZx

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 7:54 pm

I agree with JDH.. if our calling is to reach out to the unsaved world then just like Paul says we must "become all things to all men so that a few may be saved" It doesn't mean we have to change who we are or what we represent but how we present it to the world.

If a christian hardcore rock band is leading people to Christ how can that be wrong?

I know of a church in Tennessee that is called the "biker church" because its full of harley riding, tattoo covered, long hair wearing bikers who also are Christians. Now would that be a church I would go to on Sunday mornings? Probably not, but will an unsaved biker feel more welcomed or not out of place there? Of course!

Its not a matter of us liking the way the message of Christ is being spread, its all about the fact that the message is being preached in Truth and Love according to the Scriptures...
Back to top Go down
Vulture
God is Awesome!
God is Awesome!
Vulture

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 11:34 am

Is that really valid though? Don't you think that Billy Graham could reach them just as easily? Yes, because the Holy Spirit is the one that really reaches them, not man.

I won't say that people that attend these concerts don't come to Christ because of it, but God can use anything to move people. Again, it's not the band up there it's the Spirit moving in people. They could just as easily heard someone preaching on the street corner and been moved.

Do you not see where I'm coming from with the whole, "It sounds like devil music so how could it be Christian" point of view? God does not sound like Satan. Satan tries to sound like God though.

I'm not trying to say I'm right, you're wrong... rather I'm trying to really understand how it's possible and not some kind of deceiving of Christians into a false media. Being called to be different than the world would indicate that music that sounds like the world isn't being different, rather conforming to it.
Back to top Go down
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 3:08 pm

I agree and dissagree with you. Most of the non believers I know or think of would blow off a billy grahm sermon or a street side preacher. Its what society and the media has taught them to do after all, thats why we have to go through their things to reach them such as christian metal if thats what they're into, If their hearts are hardend enough the holy spirit cant get through. so sometimes to soften their hearts we need to stop tryig to be so ubrupt, I mean billy grahm seems like a punishment to me lol and I am a believer what do you think it is for the non believer? God uses the holy spirit through us to reach out to people. I'm not saying he can't without us, he does, but it's our jobs to bring people to christ.

As for the music conformaty I would say in a way yes, alot of the bands out there are doing that. I dont listen to skilet anymore because for one they used to be so over played.
But the main reason is I think they're more concerned with trying to be cool then what they're supposed to be doing, they're trying hard to get out there with mainstrean and they've done it but to what end? The same goes for bands like flyleaf they play them on christian radio but their not a christian band, the band members are christian but they openly say they're not a christian band. That's what annoys me the most about *&^%$# christians is when they try to act cool and be worldly to fit in.

As for me it's not like I listen to K love, I can't stand most contemporary praise and worship there are some I like but for the most part my radio gets flipped between my christian station that plays stuff like red, hawk nelson, skillet and the regular stuff like third day. The mainstream stations that play "modern" music. And the rock stations.
So I listen to what I like, am I evil for it? Idk. I don't see how it matters since apparently non-christian bands like flyleaf and owl city are now apparently "christian enough" But I enjoy joy singing along to christian and non christian music just as much.
Back to top Go down
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 3:17 pm

But I guess for you trying to understand how it can save and isn't just deceiving Christians into a false media. I can't help you with that, thats something each one of us has to decide for ourselves. It's an arguement that could go back and forth forever, is it right? is it wrong? just like a tatoo I could look up scripture that say it's bad, but I could also look up ones that say it's okay. In the end music preference is a personal choice, we could argue all day but in the end would we be better off? only god knows for sure.
Back to top Go down
Xavier xTZx
Soldier
Soldier
Xavier xTZx

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 3:28 pm

I guess for me it really comes down to this... its the singer, not the song.
Back to top Go down
Vulture
God is Awesome!
God is Awesome!
Vulture

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 10:54 am

Xavier xTZx wrote:
I guess for me it really comes down to this... its the singer, not the song.

So if a Christian band played some Ozzy music, it would all of a sudden be okay?

I was talking about this with my wife last night and I thought, [1 Corinthians 10:23 NIV] - 23 "Everything is permissible"-but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"-but not everything is constructive.

I guess the way I look at it is like this.... If it's not bringing Glory to God, then why listen to it? We are called to be different from the world and to stand out from it, not conform to it.
Back to top Go down
The BigFuz
The BigFuz

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 11:09 pm

I definitely agree with your last post, but not the first post. "I hear this music and it literally makes me cringe"...same can be said for me and country music ...or most rap music ...or techno ...or heavy metal. I know for a fact, that there is a lot of country that glorifies God. Some rap as well. Probably not much techno... Rolling Eyes

That being said, I think its the message the music is presenting.

It's a tough argument to say that musical "sounds" are evil in themselves. Music and lyrics from some hard rock bands do give glory to God, through a medium that is satisfying to some people's musical taste.

That being said, personal taste also cannot be a qualifier to what is considered acceptable (either like or dislike). Just like you should take what people say or preach and qualify it against the scriptures. You can use this as a test as well for the message behind a song.
Back to top Go down
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 12:44 am

Momma says, my momma says, momma, momma says, my momma says MUSIC IS THE DEVIL!!! lol couldn't resist, just thought I'd lighten it up a bit in here. But all in all I'm gonna agree to dissagree, we all have our preferences.
Back to top Go down
Vulture
God is Awesome!
God is Awesome!
Vulture

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 10:03 am

The BigFuz wrote:
I definitely agree with your last post, but not the first post. "I hear this music and it literally makes me cringe"...same can be said for me and country music ...or most rap music ...or techno ...or heavy metal. I know for a fact, that there is a lot of country that glorifies God. Some rap as well. Probably not much techno... Rolling Eyes

That being said, I think its the message the music is presenting.

It's a tough argument to say that musical "sounds" are evil in themselves. Music and lyrics from some hard rock bands do give glory to God, through a medium that is satisfying to some people's musical taste.

That being said, personal taste also cannot be a qualifier to what is considered acceptable (either like or dislike). Just like you should take what people say or preach and qualify it against the scriptures. You can use this as a test as well for the message behind a song.

Thanks, when I go back and read my first post I don't really agree with it either as it is more of a personal taste rather than something biblical. My last post is more biblical and I like that response better. Learning as I go here....

Guess it's time to do a study on music in the bible and see what comes up....
Back to top Go down
Xavier xTZx
Soldier
Soldier
Xavier xTZx

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 6:05 pm

What I ment by "its the singer, not the song" is that God knows our heart and if its our intention to glorify Him. My song might be nothing more then the word Holy over and over again but that doesn't mean that 1) I'm necessarily glorifying God or 2) the word I use to glorify God is acceptable to everybody.

Songs used to praise God 2,000 years ago are not the same songs used to praise God today. Musical tastes change but our call to praise God remains the same, who are we to judge if God feels glorified by the offerings we bring to Him in song?
Back to top Go down
cheezy cheese14
cheezy cheese14

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 1:43 am

Amen Xavier amen!!
Back to top Go down
m87nichols
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!
m87nichols

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 2:50 pm

dislike metal,
like rock

christian that is.
i cant stand hearing someone abuse their vocal chords like that.

but that is my opinion, and im probably worng but i look cool doing it Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/m87nichols?ref=profil
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christian Metal....   Christian Metal.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Christian Metal....
Page 1 of 1