Soldiers of God
You need to Register to see all the topics we have...
Soldiers of God
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WE ARE A CHRISTIAN CLAN ON XBOX LIVE

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

Welcome to the official website for (SoG) Soldiers of God!

Pay for gameing?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GodLy DoT
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!
GodLy DoT

Number of posts : 1396
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 3:32 pm

according to this...it looks just like that..

If the videogame industry is going to rebound from its decline in software sales, publishers will need to look at monetizing online multiplayer, said Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter in his latest investor report.

Pachter believes one of the main reasons software sales were down for a fourth negative month this year is due to gamers continuing to log substantial hours into a handful of online games and not picking up new titles regularly.

"We estimate that a total of 12 million consumers are playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 for an average of 10 hours per week on the two platforms' respective networks, and the continued enjoyment of this game (along with an estimated 6 million Halo online players, 3 million EA Sports players, and 5 million players playing other games, such as Battlefield, Red Dead Redemption, Left 4 Dead and Grand Theft Auto) has sucked the available time away from what otherwise would be spent playing newly purchased games," he said.

Pachter also noted that Activision needs to make the first move with multiplayer charges, and expects we could see something with Call of Duty: Black Ops, set for release this November.

"We think that it is incumbent upon Activision, with the most popular multiplayer game, to take the first step to address monetization of multiplayer," said Pachter. "It is too early to tell whether that will be a monthly subscription, tournament entry fees, microtransaction fees, or a combination of all three, but we expect to see the company take some action by year-end, when Call of Duty Black Ops launches."

Pachter says he expects the publisher will apply a World of Warcraft-like business model to its Call of Duty franchise. Activision will likely continue to offer some form a free multiplayer for awhile, he says, but notes that it's imperative the company capitalizes on the estimated 4 billion hours of time spent online since the launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network.

"We are quick to point out that the average single player game has an expected play time of under 30 hours, suggesting that a staggering 133 million units of equivalent game play have been spent (so far) playing Call of Duty online, with Activision only seeing revenues from the original 20 million units sold, plus an estimated 8 million map packs sold," he added.

Activision hasn't been shy in the past about its intentions for some of its key franchises. The publisher has said several times it's looking at new online business models for Call of Duty and Guitar Hero.

In a recent interview, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick also made his displeasure known over closed online networks such as Xbox Live.

"We've heard that 60 per cent of [Microsoft's] subscribers are principally on Live because of Call of Duty," said Kotick. "We don't really participate financially in that income stream. We would really like to be able to provide much more value to those millions of players playing on Live, but it's not our network."

Thats not good for us poor folks..
Back to top Go down
Quiet Man 124
Quiet Man 124

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-07-12

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 8:26 pm

You think game prices being high as they are would suffice. if companies do make so that I have to pay, better be cheap at least below 10 dollars for 3 months or something like that.
Back to top Go down
alpha777
Dot's Sidekick
Dot's Sidekick

Number of posts : 1125
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 11:33 pm

We already pay for xbox live and the actual game, so there's no way I'm going to pay for just one aspect of the game.
Back to top Go down
JDH. the local village TK
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!

Number of posts : 861
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 1:29 am

haha i dont play modern 2 or buy games epic loss for the gaming companys!!! so gay i dont think video games are all that important if they wanna charge even more fee's all they're gonna do is kill the gaming comunity just so conclamerates can make more. actually im surprised the government hasnt made some bull video game tax to make some money off the whole thing
Back to top Go down
Lethaliron
God rules!
God rules!
Lethaliron

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-10-03

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 9:20 am

Quote :
Pachter also noted that Activision needs to make the first move with multiplayer charges, and expects we could see something with Call of Duty: Black Ops, set for release this November.

Another reason for me to think twice about buying Black Ops. I think it makes sense for them to make us pay for online multiplayer, but where does my live subscription money go? If it all goes to Microsoft who runs live, isn't that paying for multiplayer? If it came down to paying I would just stick with old games. Or give up videogames. It would be better in the long run just not to play them.
Back to top Go down
GodLy DoT
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!
GodLy DoT

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 12:35 pm

yea i agree with u guys..if they do start chargin..i will not be getting black ops..if that is the case..i always have my halo reach!..Smile..but they will mess everything up in the gamein community..

Jesus Fr3ak!

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 5:49 pm

There is no way I will pay my Live subscription and a fee to play a game online....

That's like paying for the right to pay to play a game online....figure that one out!
Back to top Go down
Vulture
God is Awesome!
God is Awesome!
Vulture

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 3:17 pm

if they start charging per game to play online, then M$ will have to drop the charge for xbl and make it free like Sony does w/ the PS3. Otherwise, it's like DocLuv said and we'll be paying twice for the same thing. We already pay too much for extra content as it is, now they want to tack on extra money so we can enjoy playing online multiplayer? Maybe if they didn't make single player games take 40hours to beat they'd get more people buying new releases?
Back to top Go down
http://www.digoutreach.com
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!

Number of posts : 861
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 5:48 pm

lol okay what single player game takes 40 hors to play id like to know?
Back to top Go down
DrLuvMD
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 8:08 pm

well opposite of what vulture said....it's even worse for games like call of duty that are obviously made just for their multiplayer because their campaigns take like 6-8 hours to complete..your then paying 60 dollars for a multiplayer game that you then have to pay to use it....it just blows my mind that they are thinking of doing this.

Unfotunately everyone probably wont boycott them like they should and they will make more money off of the idea....sort of like (no one be offended) paying money to dress and give accessories to a digital little man..i thought that was silliest thing i've heard but they have made a fortune off of it. An idea might sound ridiculous but they are in business to make money and if people will pay for it they will do it (unfortunatly)
Back to top Go down
Lethaliron
God rules!
God rules!
Lethaliron

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2009-10-03

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 8:42 pm

I can see that microsoft needs to make money for running live. With all the marketplaces, facebook, twitter, and netflix. I can see that game companies need to make money for running their servers or whatever. But adding the two together? I play about three games on live. At the least that would probably cost around $60-$75. That means I would be paying $125 for online gaming. WAAAAAAYYYYY to much.

Do you think they will start charging to play games like Halo 3, WAW, and MW2?
Back to top Go down
Newman Ray
Soldier
Soldier
Newman Ray

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-12-26

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:22 pm

It's kind of already started with NCAA Football 2011. If you don't buy that game new you can't play on Xbox live unless you pay a fee. This is how they're dipping into the used game sales. I agree Dr. Luv, seems like they are double-dipping! How can you charge for Xbox live so that you can play online and then have to pay each game vendor to play their particular game online. It's all about the filthy lucre boys! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
DrLuvMD
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:48 pm

yea they have been talking about the used games for a while now...i'm more likely to accept that than having to pay extra for a new game..

I think a better alternative would be them getting a percentage of the game sales from places like game stop...however that doesn't eliminate ebay and amazon used..but places like gamestop make enough on used games to give up a percentage...they probably make more than new in some cases.
Back to top Go down
Vulture
God is Awesome!
God is Awesome!
Vulture

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:40 pm

having to pay an extra fee in order to play used games is even worse than paying for multi-player. How on earth are you gonna charge me just to play a game? Ludicrous!!

I exaggerated on the 40hour comment, but games like Fallout 3 take a long time to complete.

DocL.... what servers do games use for us to play on? They sure aren't dedicated servers or I could understand a small fee, although when I think about World of Warcraft I don't think they pay a server fee.
Back to top Go down
http://www.digoutreach.com
DrLuvMD
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 4:00 pm

i'm not sure how it works but each game producer has its own servers for that game that we use..yea i heard something about warcraft charging but i don't know anything about it.

I know just from being in business my self that used sales are killing companies anymore..the used market is a big reason that prices have shot through the roof...it used to be hard to buy used before ebay and online shopping..now everyone just waits a few months to buy certain games used and every one is a sale lost for the game companies..i'm not saying I like them charging...i just understand it more.
Back to top Go down
marinebuddy5
Soldier
Soldier
marinebuddy5

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 8:33 pm

As soon as I read about pay to play it (August 2010 OXM) I 1. hated pachter, and 2. wanted to write a ultimate threat rant etc. But as a christian I shouldn't do stuff like that but when it said 'The guys that don't care for what I have to say arne't the people who pay me . So f*** them.' I just have that idea stuck in my head because even though we don't pay him, we gave him a job by playing since hes analyst and they look and make those predicts so technically we do pay him so I won't believe him and his words. FOR GAMING SHALL AND FOREVER FREE!!!!! (I hope.)
Back to top Go down
http://Out2facebook@yahoo.com
m87nichols
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!
m87nichols

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 10:43 am

well guys i hate to tell ya buts it comming. maybe not for blackops but activision will do it. i knew they would when they charged us $15 for the map packs.
Activision is greedy and there is nothing that will stop that. Only God can change peoples hearts like that. even if we do boycott and it fails. It wont stop Activison from trying something else.
However, the boycott will not fail. Why? for one simple fact. Lets say that they place a minimum of $5 a month fee. This will be small enough to hook the majority of gamers who play COD. lets say they get a small amount of their installment base as of right now. thats what? 1.5 million and that is a safe estiment. If ya do the math that amounts to about 7.5 million for 1 month. let just say its a bust and they only get about 1 million players for buy into this. thats 5 million for one month. That is at least 60 million in one year. that is why it will never be a failure. because people think "eh whats $5 more a month. Here is another option for activison. A one time installment rate. so you pay a fee one time to play as much as you want. lets say its the minimum (like activison will really charge you the minimum) a $5 fee. More people will be likely to pay this since its a one time fee. lets go will their map pack numbers. If 4 million people pay a one time $5 fee then that amounts to 20,000,000 dollars. They just made 20 million for doing nothing basically.
Guess what. Activision is not gonna go easy. They are gonna go for as much as they can possibly get. I feel that it will most likely be a one time fee of $10. Why 10? Thats similar to EA. $10 and they will make promisses about FREE DLC!!!!! AND EXCULSIVE DEALS!!!!!
Yeah what a joke. Has Activision EVER EVER EVER released free DLC? 2 MAPS! both for COD 2 and they still are charging 400 ms points for the other 2 map packs for that game. FREE DLC MY BIG FAT HARRY BACKSIDE!
I feel at the most they will release for free are maps that are already on the disk, or NEW GAMES MODES! oh joy. i get something i already paid for for free. that sounds like a great deal! suurrrrrre!
If they in the end start this I will not be buying or playing the multiplayer for the new cod game or anyother cod game. Sorry but MW2 wasn't the best it could have been, and if activison can get buy with it they will do the same cost cutting measures for future COD games. We can boycott it all we want, but in the end i feel that it will not matter what we do.
I really do hope that i am wrong.

Last edited by m87nichols on Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/m87nichols?ref=profil
marinebuddy5
Soldier
Soldier
marinebuddy5

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-08-18

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 11:00 am

Whats worse is the fact we all still live in the recession and they think that we're made a money.
Back to top Go down
http://Out2facebook@yahoo.com
GodLy DoT
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!
GodLy DoT

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 6:15 pm

Well nics..i have a feeling you are right about everything u posted!..activision is going to get all they can out of us..i think it is crz!..and i am not going to get Cod BO..i will be fine playing my halo reach..it is just sad that they might do something like this..really is sad..

Soldier
NoS L3gAcy

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-07-10

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 9:32 pm

they won't do this pay for play stuff for Reach, will they?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000128848247
GodLy DoT
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!
GodLy DoT

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 9:44 pm

no they wont..this game has nothing to do with activision..thankd God!

Soldier
NoS L3gAcy

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 9:49 pm

ok good, i thought all game developers were considering the pay to play method
Back to top Go down
GodLy DoT
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!
GodLy DoT

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 9:55 pm

naw just activision..(that i know off)..

Soldier
NoS L3gAcy

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 9:58 pm

ok good. but they arent gonna do what ea did and only make you pay if you didnt buy the game new?
Back to top Go down
GodLy DoT
Jesus Fr3ak!
Jesus Fr3ak!
GodLy DoT

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 10:03 pm

dont really know about that..

Pay for gameing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for gameing?   Pay for gameing? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pay for gameing?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Soldiers of God :: Everyone :: Chit-Chat-
Jump to: